Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Great Lakes: Commodore Perry (IPA) 7.5% VS. Stone: IPA 6.9%

HEAD TO HEAD

Drank From: bottle, pured into a pint glass

There is something about Great Lakes' beer, it all has a distinct taste. Maybe it has something to do with the Malt that they use. Unfortunately, this particular bottle was part of the "collection" for a little too long...I was supposed to drink it by September. It was not as good as it usually is, which was mildly disappointing. I sent the Commodore into battle with "date-stamp" handicap. It had the usual strong hops, citrus, Life cereal, and the carbonation that I love, in addition to that sensation you get when you know something is off. You continue to eat the bowl of lucky charms, even when you know for sure that the marshmallows were never sweet & sour when you were a kid...YES, the milk was spoiled on the first bite! Aging beer is for the criminally insane. It probably just makes crappy beer crappier. So this one gets a A, but shall live to fight another day!
My Rating: A-/4.1


Drank From: bottle,  poured into a pint glass


So this is my first experience with Stone IPA. I believe this is actually the first Stone offering that I have had. I actually opened this beer first and told my wife that it reminded me of Commodore Perry. I initially thought it tasted similar to CP as well. After the actual taste test, however, my wife and I agreed that Stone IPA smelled and tasted better. It has a very good balance of hops, bitterness, and sweetness. The difference is that a fresh Commodore Perry has a distinct citrus/fruity aspect that sets it apart. Stone IPA gets an A.
My Rating: A/4.4


1 comment:

Steve P said...

Stone is a personal new favorite for me as well. Found a sixer at Foodlion surprisingly.