Friday, November 26, 2010

Flying Dog: Gonzo Imp. Porter 7.8% VS. Great Lakes: Edmond Fitzgerald Porter 5.8%

HEAD TO HEAD
So I am getting into this head-to-head idea. It's fun to pit one beer against another. A positive in one beer leaves something to be desired in the other. It probably isn't the most "fair" way to judge something, I am fully aware of that. This is my first Porter vs. Porter. As you may know, drinking two porters is sometimes a feat in itself...made easier if you are drinking to awesome ones, however. 

Drank From: bottle, poured into a pint glass

This poured a nice dark brown, almost black with two fingers of brown head. This was medium bodied for the ABV, but it was a little sweeter than I prefer. This was definitely more chocolaty than coffee-y. This beer had a really unique smokiness that I really enjoyed. I could drink another one of these, but the sweetness would get to me.

My Rating A-/4.1



Drank From: bottle, poured into a pint glass

This poured very similar to the Gonzo, black with two fingers of brown head. This was more drinkable than the Gonzo, but it is a little less strong, so maybe plays into it a little bit. This is the coffee variety, as opposed to being more chocolaty. For a porter, this is very crisp and carbonated. When I toured The Great Lakes Brewery in 2008, the tour guide told me this was his favorite all-year-round beer. I don't know if this is my favorite beer, but I could easily drink this any time of the year. Great beer!

My Rating: A/4.4


No comments: