Thursday, May 26, 2011

Great Lakes: Dortmunder Gold (Dortmunder/Export Lager) 5.8%

Drank From: bottle, poured into a pint glass

It is no secret that I don’t like lagers, but I do love Great Lakes. I do have a bias, but I feel like they are incapable of disappointing. This beer pours a beautiful golden orange, with a lot of chunky head, great lacing, and great retention. The smell is sweet and malty. This beer definitely gives you that thin bodied bitter feel that makes lagers suck, but adds a nice hint of maple…or honey? The malt complexity is nice, and gives a little bit of a bready taste…but it doesn’t come on as strong as some other German styles. There is a crisp bitterness, but I wouldn’t say that the hops are over-done. This is a Great beer, I will come back to this one. 

My Rating: A-/4.05

No comments: