Saturday, January 8, 2011

SweetWater Tackle Box (4 variety 12 pack)

I've had SweetWater before a few times, but last month I decided that getting a variety pack would be a good way to sample these beers again. Plus, I needed to revisit them for the sake of the blog. Like most mix pack within a brand, one or two stand out as clear favorites. It almost isn't fair to pit them against each other. The IPA was my favorite in this case, followed by 420. The other two we goo too, but less memorable. 
Drank All From: bottle, poured into a pint glass

SweetWater: IPA (American IPA) 6.7%
The IPA had 1 1/2 Fingers of head and was copper in color. The chunky head lasted throughout. The smell was strong hops and floral. This was suprisingly more refreshing than some other IPAs that I've had. The taste is bold, but is quickly out of your mouth. It does not have that lingering sour flavor that makes you wish you could brush your teeth; and you would if you didn't already know how terrible beeramint is. It has a welcome crispness and a little malty finish. It was medium bodied and easy to drink, but pretty zesty. I probably wouldn't drink more than two of these in a sitting. 


http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/273/1493
My Rating: A+/4.55


SweetWater: 420 Extra Pale Ale (APA) 5.4%
This poured light orange and had one finger of head that didn't last. This was very refreshing and easy to drink. Hops and floral come out in the smell and taste. I noticed that it was a little more malty than other pale ales that I've testy, which is nice for a change. It relatively light bodied, making it easy to have several of these in a sitting without making yourself feel like a sausage. 


http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/273/751
My Rating: A/4.35





SweetWater: Exodus Porter (American Porter) 5.9%
This poured black with one finger of foamy head. The smell was tasty, malty, coffee and sweet. The taste is even more dark than the smell. I was expecting something sweet and got pleasant toasty, maybe even a little burnt flavor. This was medium bodied and had noticeable carbonation for a porter. I don't typically drink porters and stouts in succession, but you could if that's your bag. 

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/273/1494
My Rating: B/3.7


SweetWater: Sweet Georgia Brown (English Brown Ale) 5.4%
This poured dark brown with 2 fingers of foamy head. It toasty and sweet, maybe even a little sour. The taste was more smoky and not as sweet as a Sierra Nevada: Tumbler. It is medium bodied and crisp. Given the right mood or season, a couple of these would be nice. 

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2078/9826
My Rating: B+/3.85

No comments: