Friday, January 14, 2011

Green Man: ESB (Extra special/Strong Bitter) 5.3%

Drank From: on-tap

I've been excited to try this beer for a few reasons: One, it's a local place and I appreciate that. Two, it comes recommended by a friend. Contrary to what has become popular in the beer critiquing community, I like to approach a new brew with the expectation that I am going to like it (or at least appreciate something about it). Although I enjoy discussing the nuances of beer, I am not interested in trying to prove my beer knowledge is superior to every else's by making negative assessments of everything that isn't foreign and weird. That said, this beer was good. I thoroughly enjoyed the intense hoppy flavor, which I was not expecting. It had a robust, natural element. I enjoyed the "rawness" and heaviness despite the fact that it is only 5.3%. Maybe there is power of suggestion in the name, but earthy and organic came to mind as well. I could have a few of these in a row and am looking forward to trying Green Man's other beers. 


http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/11599/28146
My Rating: A-/4.2

2 comments:

davolala said...

ESB stands for Extra Special Beer, everyone knows that you dumbass. I would also put Killians in the class of ESB.

Kyle said...

It doesn't even say Extra Special Beer. It says BITTER...douche.