Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Bear Republic: Hot Rod Rye (American IPA) 8.0%


This one poured a lot darker than I was expecting. It has an unfiltered haze to it along with a nice big, tan head. The nose is most notably sugary, but the hops and the grains come through as well. I haven’t had many ryes, so I am still figuring them out. I do feel a difference in the body. For an 8% beer, it seems like this beer should be much heavier; somehow the rye has a less oppressive presence than a heavy malt version. The beer is very caramely, but then bitter hops to follow to round this one out. I cannot get over the clean feeling this beer has in the aftertaste. This brew boasts a great aroma, crisp yet complex flavor, and a clean bite finish…easy drinker considering. Note: This beer only contains 18% rye, so it isn’t a dominant flavor. 

My Rating: A/4.4

No comments: