Monday, March 21, 2011

SweetWater: Happy Ending Imperial Stout (American Double/Imperial Stout) 9%

Drank From: bottle, poured into a tulip glass

This pours black with dark tan head. It doesn’t smell over chocolaty or coffee-y. I think I faintly smell hops, but definitely dark malts and sugar. The taste is pretty mild for being a 9%. The aftertaste is where most of the flavor hits you with a lot of bitterness, burnt coffee, and woody toastiness. I don’t consider myself to be overly versed in imperial stouts, but I like this much better than the sweeter versions, i.e., Samuel Adams Imperial Stout. The body is pretty heavy, but there is a surprising amount of carbonation and bite; I was expecting this to be more syrupy. One or two of these would be my limit. 

My Rating: A/4.28

No comments: